Table of Contents
- How to Save Winbird Race Files as Text (txt) files.
- Important text file naming conventions.
- How to Register your race secretary and club/combine name with the CRPU.
- Sending Race Results to the CRPU.
1. How to Save Winbird Race Files as Text files.
First: In "My Documents" create a folder called "CRPU National DB Results" inside this folder create a folder with "Your Club Name".
This is where you will save the text file that you will be sending to the CRPU National Database.
- Calculate race as normal
- Go to race results
- Choose the race to print. At the bottom of this window you have a choice.
- Click on print normal race result
- If you want copies of your race result do the print as normal
- Click on close
- A window will open that says :"Select where to save file to"
- Double click on "C: " and a list will come up.
- Go to the "CRPU NATIONAL DATABASE RESULTS" folder and click on the folder with "YOUR CLUB NAME"
- Click on "Create File"
- Open "My Documents" and choose the "CRPU NATIONAL DATABASE RESULTS" folder.
- Choose the folder with "YOUR CLUB NAME" and the text file with your race result will be there. This is the file you upload (send) to the "CRPU NATIONAL DATABASE".
2. Important – CRPU Text file naming conventions.
Text files saved other than as outlined above will not upload properly to the database. The text file saved as instructed above will be saved in the correct format. Text files saved any other way will likely be incorrect, and be rejected when you send/email them to the CRPU.
Race Results Filename Formats
VALID CHARACTERS IN FILE NAMES
1. use alphabet letters (upper and lower case), a-z, A-Z
2. numbers 0123456789
3. dash – or underscore _ is allowed.
4. the .txt on the end of the file, is needed for race result text files.
1-MILE-HOUSE-#2-O.B..txt ( # causes a problem, an the file becomes something like 1-MILE-HOUSE- to a program so it can't find it. )
Note: only one period is used in a filename, the ".txt" is the file-type or file suffix.
3. How to Register to upload/send Race Results to the CRPU
This instruction applies to clubs and combines using the Winbird or the Winspeed race programs.
As of the 2011 race season we have a new easier way to upload race files to the CRPU database. As a CRPU member in good standing and as your racing pigeon club or combine's race secretary just send an email the firstname.lastname@example.org to register the details of which club(s) or combine(s) that you are the going to email race results to the crpu. Your email id, name, etc. will be registered, as the "race secretary". You only need to do this once, don't forget your club, combine or special race name that you my be submitting. Now you are ready, by the way, you don't even need to wait for a reply from the CRPU to go onto the next step below.
Note: IF YOU CHANGE YOUR CLUB NAME OR COMBINE NAME YOU MUST NOTIFY THE CRPU. THE REASON IS THESE NAMES ARE USED AS KEYS IN THE RESULT DATABASE. A CHANGE IS ANY CHANGE TO THE SPELLING OF YOUR CLUB OR COMBINE NAME, SUCH AS CHANGING A SHORT FORM RPC TO R.P.C.
4. Sending race results to the CRPU
To upload your weekly race results. On your computer, use any text editor to visually look at your race result text file(s) that you plan to upload, and be sure they look correct, usually you will see "garbage" in the title if you have used the wrong file or didn't set up properly, in the wrong format. When you are done verifying your text file, just quit, and go to your email program and compose an email.
Now use your usual email program (such as hotmail, outlook, gmail, etc. ) to attach the race result text file to an email and send it to:
It is that simple.
You can send more than one race result file attached to a single email, just make sure all your files are named uniquely so they are organized and don't get mixed up anywhere. Just send text files, these are the files with ".txt" on the end.
NOTE 1: CLUBS USING CLOCKING LIMITS – Clubs that use clocking limits for a particular race(s) should send those race(s) in a separate email. In the body of the email, type clocking limit . You can provide more information such as: 5 bird clocking limit , the awards program just needs, and only looks for the string "clocking limit". It then excludes that the race result from awards calculations if the words "clocking limit" are found in the email body. (As per CRPU rules, races with clocking limits don't qualify for awards, but the result will still appear in the CRPU database.)
NOTE 2: The email@example.com is NOT checked by a person, so don't expect any replys to any questions. This email id is only checked by the crpu race result "robot" scripts. The script will generally try to email you back if it can. If you sent a valid file, you will get good news. If a wrong race result text file format is detected, you should get an email from the robot that requests you send in the proper result. (As a disclaimer, there will be rare new cases where a file still has errors, and we will have to work together on those at a later time if time allows, we don't know what we don't know.)
Thanks for following these much needed rules.